For I have Synned...

After two weeks of trying to get accustomed to my new twists I hit a wall. My hair was flat, dull and well... short. After wearing long extensions for many years, I had grown used to the look and feel of full tresses flowing down my back. I felt more confident with them and had already been questioned as to why I had removed them in the first place.

Though I had been welcomed into a warm and loving natural hair community like a long lost sister, here I was wanting to return to my wanton ways. Would I still be considered "natural" if I added extensions to my hair during this awkward time while allowing my natural hair to grow to a length I was comfortable with? Why was I going natural in the first place?

The latter question was the kicker. I realized that I was feeling obligated to a community of people to stay "true" when truly I was not happy at the hair stage I was in. This was a personal process and journey and I needed to make some adjustments and decisions for self. My compromise was that I would add extensions that most closely matched the curl pattern of my twists (in pic top twist is "my hair" while bottom is extension..). I would still be "happy to be nappy" but with the added benefit of length and body, albeit from a outside source. Through use of latch hook and individual braiding methods, I added synthetic extensions to my hair. All is again right with my hair world... at least for now.