Names that Stick

Growing up, one never wanted to be called one of these three things: ugly, black or nappy headed. In our young minds these were synonymous... and they stuck like a blood stain to your clothes, skin and hair. Many women of color, myself included, have spent many a day attempting to avoid these names of our youth that still ring hurtful echoes in our ears. We have tried to perm them out of our hair, bleach them out of our skin, weave or extend them from our very scalps. I refer to these names in my spoken word piece "Ugly" as words that were "implanted into minds/ to be repeated to brothers and sisters/ so that as a people are left behind". It is an arduous task to take these names of our youth and find deeper meaning, and further, to be empowered by them.

At 34 years of age, I am still running from those names though slowing my pace just a bit. I am only now making that slow tentative turn to face all that I have feared - mostly, my own reflection.The natural hair movement goes a long way to helping women of color and diversity become comfortable with who we our naturally without trying to excel to some unrealistic and questionable symbol of beauty.