My Nappy Roots

In 2005 I was blessed to be a part of the "My Nappy Roots" film project as a contributing artist on the soundtrack. My Nappy Roots, the impetus for Chris Rock's "Good Hair" film, takes an educated look at the Hair-story of Black America. Not until I recently reconnected with the film's director Regina Kimbell, did I decide to take a closer look of the contemptuous relationship that I have with my own curly, kinked, nappy hair.

I have been chemical free since 2004 primarily due to consecutive pregnancies which left my hair resistant to chemicals. However, in that time I have kept my hair in synthetic extensions to add length, style and body while saving me tons of time and energy. I have self-styled my hair with lengths and textures of various sorts, focused on the "look" of the finished style versus the health of my natural hair. The latter has suffered the brunt of my negligence. I realize that at the heart of my resistance to locking my hair or wearing it without the benefits of extensions is that even with braided extensions, I have always wanted my hair to look tamed and dare I say "acceptable". The moment my edges would start to show signs of new growth I would immediately do a retouch, adding stress and strain to my already damaged hair.

March 2011 marks the start of my truly natural hair journey. It seems as if for the first time I am learning to become comfortable with having my natural mane on display. At the core of this journey and personal struggle is me getting acquainted and comfortable with My Nappy Roots.